We are looking for candidates who are passionate about building the tools that power major infrastructures, take pride in what they build, are quick learners and love to work in a challenging and fast-paced environment. As part of a start-up competing in a world-scale market, you will be expected to work hard and will have the ability to manage services used by millions of people.
A successful candidate for this role will have strong analytical and troubleshooting skills, deep understanding of Linux kernel and IPv4 networking, fluency in coding, strong communication skills, insatiable intellectual curiosity, and a desire to tackle the complex problems related to real-time streaming.
- Manage the scalability and efficiency of the Livestream platform.
- Respond to and resolve platform problems.
- Solve tasks in a generic way that can be automated (so no task is ever done by hand twice).
- Participate in capacity planning and forecasting, system performance analysis, and system tuning.
- Review and influence ongoing design architecture of the Livestream platform.
- Ability to handle on-call and out-of-band requests.
- Act as an escalation engineer and perform root cause analysis of production issues and provide a report which includes recommendations for identifying future issues more quickly as well as preventing future failures entirely, whether through process or technology improvements.
- Manage backups and disaster recovery, including backup monitoring and verification, and leading restoration tests and disaster recovery drills.
Required skills and experience:
- BS degree in Computer Science or related field. In lieu of degree, relevant skills or equivalent experience.
- 6+ years experience supporting a real-time 24x7 production online web environment.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; ability to organize and prioritize tasks.
- Fluency in at least one of the following languages: C, C++, Java, Perl, Python
- Ability to write scripts using Shell, awk, sed.
- Strong knowledge of DNS, DHCP, system build automation, and system configuration management tools.
- Familiarity with server virtualization technologies (Xen or equivalents).
- Experience with configuring and tuning monitoring systems (Nagios, Zenoss, Graphite or equivalents).
Desired skills and experience:
- Expert knowledge of IPv4 networking, routing protocols, IPv4 stacks, Linux implementation of network stacks, FreeBSD implementation IPv4 stack and NFS.
- Expert knowledge of Linux kernel.
- Understanding of video streaming protocols.
Start Date: Immediate